Can the foods you eat influence the functioning of your brain? As it turns out, YES! The foods that comprise our diets have an influence on every organ and function within our bodies, and the brain is no exception. Add these foods into your diet to boost and support healthy cognitive function for today and the rest of your life!
- Carotenoids: Can be found from plant foods that are red, yellow and orange in hue. This phytonutrient boosts the processing speed of the brain. To properly absorb carotenoids in the diet, these foods should be combined with a healthy fat!
- Sweet potato + olive oil
- Carrots + almond butter
- Red, orange, yellow sweet peppers + hummus or guacamole
- Herbs: Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme are rich in Apigenin, which is a compound that aids in strengthening the connections between brain cells (where memories are stored and recalled).
- Use these herbs (fresh or dried) generously in your daily cooking!
- Kombucha Tea: A fermented tea rich in probiotics (healthy bacteria and yeast) that support the function of the GI tract. Probiotics improve gut lining and integrity, which in turn, reduces internal inflammation. Current research shows a strong connection between overall gut health and brain function.
- Aim to purchase an organic and low sugar variety. There are numerous flavors to choose from, so begin with the one that sounds most appealing to you!
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity. Individuals who experience insulin resistance have an increased risk for developing cognitive diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease. Apple cider vinegar can aid with satiety and stabilize blood sugar levels.
- Dilute with water and drink before meals for maximum benefit!