Seniors are more susceptible to disease and infections than younger adults, especially during the colder months. There are plenty of widely available herbs that have numerous health benefits and can help support a senior’s immune system. Most of them are easy to grow inside or out, which can also be therapeutic for seniors.
- Oregano – This herb is rich in antioxidants and contains high amounts of omega-3s, iron and manganese. Oregano can be grown in a garden or even indoors.
- Thyme – You can use thyme to help prevent chest and respiratory infections and reduce bacterial resistance to antibiotics. Thyme contains vitamins A and C, iron and manganese, and is easy to grow.
- Rosemary – This herb can be used to relieve migraines and improve memory and mood. It also helps with indigestion, has antibacterial properties and can be grown in a pot indoors.
- Mint – This delicious herb helps aid in digestion, can cure stomach and chest pains and even relieve asthma symptoms. Mint can also be grown indoors.
- Holy Basil – Considered to be a sacred plant by the Hindus, this herb helps with ailments including asthma, influenza, hepatitis and bronchitis. Basil leaves can be chewed to help alleviate cold or cough symptoms. It can be grown either indoors or out.
- Parsley – This greenery can provide a big boost to the immune system and is loaded with vitamins A and C as well as antioxidants. Parsley has also been shown to help improve bone strength and is an anti-inflammatory agent. It is a little more difficult to grow because it requires rich and moist soil.
- Cat’s Claw – This herb helps to lower blood pressure and rid the body of excess water. It is known to help with aches and pains associated with arthritis. It is a bit difficult to grow but can be purchased from herb and spice shops.
Holistic Wellness in Belleville
Puro Wellness Center and Spa provides people of all ages with a unique approach to help you reach your specific health goals. Our experienced health specialists can help you make positive changes in your life by using functional medicine. Contact Puro Wellness Center and Spa today to schedule an appointment.